Automatic installation of XGL, compiz and beryl on Fedora
10/08/07 - The script is now compatible with compiz-fusion. It even makes it possible to install it on your Fedora 7: just run
22/06/07 - The script is now compatible with Fedora 6, Fedora 7 and 64-bits architecture.
Here is a script that installs and configures XGL on Fedora. It is particularly useful if you have an ATI video card with the fglrx drivers installed and you want to benefit from the 3D desktop (beryl or compiz). Indeed,
- the free driver radeon, though it allows the 3D desktop thanks to AIGLX, has poorer performances compared with the proprietary one,
- the proprietary driver fglrx will allow you to benefit from all the power of your video card, but is incompatible with AIGLX (no 3D desktop !)
The solution proposed here applies for GNOME, KDE and XFCE.
It will install XGL and give you the possibily to install compiz and beryl from the official repositories using yum. And henceforth the installation of compiz-fusion is also proposed.
How to proceed ?
Download the script installXGL_EN (or installXGL_FC5_EN for FC5) and launch it (as root):
wget http://nicofo.tuxfamily.org/scripts/xgl/installXGL_EN sh installXGL_ENIt downloads the RPM of XGL, installs it and configures it automatically:
Now, you have just to open a new session (no need to reboot Fedora). At the login screen (GDM or KDM), click on the ("Options" > )"Session" menu and choose your preferred session:
That's it ! Enjoy
Beryl, Compiz or Compiz-fusion ?
The script proposes to you to install compiz and beryl. But you can at any moment install them using yum (
yum install beryl compiz). Next, you can choose which one you prefer:
- : go to System -> Preferences -> XGL Window Manager
- : in the K Menu -> Settings -> XGL Window Manager
- or execute
If you prefer to launch manually compiz / beryl / fusion-icon / desktop-effects /etc... (with an ATI card), add the variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. For example :
- How to update your XGL installation ? re-run
- How to uninstall XGL ? run
- The script can propose to install beryl, compiz and compiz-fusion:
- ... or propose to remove them:
- If you encounter a problem running a game or a 3D application, just run it using . The option
-acan be used to launch a not-full screen application. Examples :
noXgl ppracer noXgl -a googleearth
- Details on the script or problems with it (French).
- Screenshots of Compiz and Beryl (and here).